Education and Youth Service - what we do
Newham Adult Learning Service
provides part-time day and evening courses in Newham - in
partnership with Newham College of Further Education.
We provide learning opportunities for all Newham residents in
order to foster a culture of lifelong learning across the
generations - recruiting over 10,000 students each year.
We also focus on building self-confidence and regeneration in local
communities and improving access to employment and community
We offer courses
- Health, Public Services & Care
- Social Sciences
- Science & Mathematics
- History & Philosophy
- Floristry & Flower Arranging
- Construction, Planning & the Built Environment
- Information & Communications Technology
- Beauty, Complimentary Therapies & Fitness
- Catering, Travel & Tourism
- Arts, Media, Fashion & Publishing
- Languages, Literature & Culture
- Courses for Adults with Learning Difficulties
- Skills for Life & Work: ESOL & Basic Skills
- Business Administration & Law
- Education & Training
View our latest courses
Who can use this service?
Adult education courses are open to anyone over 16
years of age, who is eligible.
They are particularly aimed at Newham residents, but are open to
people from other areas.
The eligibility criteria for Skills Funding Agency funded courses
are that the learner is:
- A British or EU citizen
- A refugee
- An asylum seeker
You are advised to confirm the full course cost prior to enrolment
by phoning the venue where the course is held.
Tuition and exam fees vary across the colleges and training
providers. The fee is normally payable before or at the start of
your course. There my be an additional fee for entering an
examination or for materials.
In general free tuition will be available if you are:
- Under 19 on 31st August 2011
- On a literacy or numeracy course
- In receipt of Job Seekers Allowance or Employment & Support
Allowance (Work Related Activity Group)
- Studying your first full level 2 qualification
- Aged 19-24 and studying your first full level 3
- Taking a full level 3 qualification without first having
attained a full level 2 qualification.
- Studying your first full level 3 qualification having left the
British Armed Forces after completing 4 or more years of service
or, having completed basic training, been medically discharged due
to an injury in active service.
A small registration fee may be charged to some learners in the
Reduced tuition fee of 50p per taught hour (plus
examination fee and resources costs where applicable) will be
charged if you are receiving one of the following
- Incapacity Benefit
- Disability Allowance
- State Old Age Pension (including Pension credit)
- Council Tax Benefit
- Housing benefit
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit
- Contribution based ESA (not Work Related Activity Group_ or if
you are an unwaged dependant of someone receiving on of the above
You will be required to bring proof of your entitlement to free or
reduced tuition (e.g. benefit book) when you enrol.
Higher education and some other courses are not available without
fee payment. Some providers will only grant reduced fees to Newham
residents. Please check fees when you enrol.
For more information, please contact your nearest
Newceys area office.