Applying for council
housing or housing association property
We have changed the way in which
residents apply for a council or Housing Association property and
our criteria for allocating properties.
Housing register applications are moving
Anyone wishing to join the Newham Housing Register must apply
online. Paper application forms are no longer being used and will
not be accepted. Find out if you are eligible to join
the housing register.
Find out about the new online process and how to apply
Newham's Housing Allocation Policy
The new Housing Allocation Policy has been effective from Monday 29
October 2012. This was
approved by the Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales and members of
the council's Cabinet.
revised Housing Allocations Policy (Word doc.)
Am I affected?
All existing housing register cases have now been assessed. All
applicants affected by the changes have received a letter for each
change affecting them.
Who can join the housing register?
To apply to join the housing register applicants must be;
- 18 years of age or older
- living in Newham and have been doing do so continuously for the
past two years or have a strong local connection with Newham (as
Local Connection applies when at least one of the following applies
to the applicant;
- has employment in Newham
- has close relatives (parents, siblings or children)
- is a Newham tenant living in one of our out-of-borough
- is owed a duty by Newham Council under Part VII of the Housing
- has been placed in a women's refuge outside Newham but was
referred to that refuge by the council or another organisation in
Newham and has lived in Newham for two years immediately prior to
occupying the temporary accommodation
- has been placed in accommodation by the council or the Newham
Local Health Authority, and who are continuing to receive services
from the Council or the Newham Local Health Authority
- has been nominated to the council through the Pan Mobility
Scheme, Safe and Secure Scheme and any other scheme to which the
If you do not meet the residency criteria and do not have a local
connection you will not be able to register.
Who cannot join the housing register?
You cannot apply to join the housing register if you;
- are subject to immigration control and do not have leave to
remain in the UK or have no access to public funds
- are a European citizen not exercising your treaty rights
- are, in the opinion of the council owed a duty under Part VII
of the Housing Act 1996 by another local authority
- own your home, or own residential accommodation elsewhere
- currently serving a custodial sentence.
It is possible for you to be prevented from joining the housing
- your past behaviour, or the past behaviour of a member of your
household has not been acceptable and the council believe that you
will not be a suitable tenant
- action has been taken against you by the council or another
competent body on grounds of alleged Anti Social Behaviour
It is also possible to allow an applicant to join the housing
register and for them to receive reduced priority on the grounds of
behaviour or anti-social behaviour.