Selective licensing came into operation in Little Ilford on 1
March 2010 within a pilot Neighbourhood Improvement
What is the pilot Neighbourhood Improvement
The pilot Neighbourhood Improvement Zone (NIZ) aims to improve many
of the problems residents are concerned about in your neighbourhood
through co-ordinating and focusing council services.
In particular we will be tackling residents' concerns regarding the
high numbers of properties that are rented which often have a
detrimental impact on your community.
To help us ensure that rented accommodation is well managed and
meets the necessary standards we have been granted special powers
to require all landlords to apply for a licence to rent
accommodation within the Little Ilford pilot NIZ.
How will the NIZ benefit me?
Selective licensing within the NIZ helps us to ensure that rented
accommodation is well managed and meets the necessary
As a resident within the zone we will help you to access a range
of key services available through both the council and our partners
that we hope will improve your health, safety and well-being.
For example, we will help you to receive:
- a home security assessment
- a fire safety assessment
- an energy efficiency survey
- advice on ensuring that you are claiming any benefits you are
You may also be eligible for help towards the cost of:
- installing home security measures
- carrying out minor repairs (for elderly residents)
- carrying out works so you can remain in your home (if you have
We will also improve your environment through:
- listening to your views at resident meetings
- clamping down on fly tipping and graffiti
- ensuring that property extensions meet planning
- licensing rented accommodation
- improving the management of rented accommodation
- reducing anti-social behaviour.
Apply for a Selective Neighbourhood Improvement Zone
You can now apply for a rented property licence online via My
Register and apply here.
Please see our list of
Property Licensing fees and charges (pdf) for the correct
amount to be paid. The fee is based on the type of licence and in
some cases the size of the