Becoming a childminder and setting up a childcare business

On this page you can find information about registering as a childminder or childcare provider, and how to set up your own childcare business.

Register as a childminder 

You must register as a childminder if you want to get paid for looking after children:
  • under eight years old
  • for more than two hours a day
  • in a home that isn’t the children’s normal home.

There are two registers:

  1. If you want to look after children up to their eighth birthday you must apply to Ofsted to join the Childcare Register.
  2. If you want to look after children aged five and under (up until 31 August after their fifth birthday), you must also register on the Early Years Register.

This means you will need to apply to join both registers to look after children of all ages under eight.

Before you register

Before you register as a childminder, you will need to complete a pre-registration training course and a paediatric first aid course. Contact us for more information at or fill in our expression of interest form.

We also recommend that you read our guide to becoming a registered childminder (PDF) so you can understand the process and find out what support is available to you.

How to register

To register you must follow a number of steps which are outlined on the Government's website. You will also find information about the fee you must pay to complete your registration.


Setting up a childcare business

If you want to set up your own childcare business, our new childcare providers information pack (PDF) will guide you through the steps you must take and sign-post you to more information and support.
It covers in detail all the things you will need to consider including:
  • finding and converting premises
  • health and safety regulations
  • business support and planning
  • training and qualifications.
You can also talk to us if you have any questions or need further advice. Email us at or fill in our expression of interest form.

Do you need planning permission?

You may need to apply for planning permission when you set up your childcare business. Our childcare provision planning guidance (PDF) will help you to work out if you need to get permission and how to apply.

Pay for a childcare training course

If you work with or volunteer with children and young people aged from birth to 19 (or young people with special needs up to 25 years old), you can join our training courses.
We run the training programme every year. The training supports your continuing professional development (CPD) and meets the minimum core training recommended by Ofsted.
You should phone us on 020 3373 0970 to find out more information about our training courses or register for a course
Pay for a childcare training course

Back to top

Contact us

  • Children's Services Commissioning
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    020 3373 0980

    Email us