warning icon
Essential maintenance this weekend to our housing management system
​Housing rent account balances and some online customer forms will be unavailable via MyNewham on Sunday 18 November between 7 - 10am.

Customers can still make payments, but online account balances will not be updated until Monday 19 November 2018. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.​​​

Appeals and complaints

On this page you can find out what to do if you:
  • disagree with the support given to your child to meet their special educational needs (SEN) or disability
  • want to appeal a decision about an education, health and care plan or an assessment for a plan.

Disagreements about support for children and young people with SEN or disabilities

If you are unhappy with the support your child is getting, talk to his or her nursery or school first to try to sort the problem out early on.

If you are not satisfied with the school’s response you can use the school’s complaints procedure. All schools have one and they must publish it. Check the school’s website.

Further education, sixth form colleges and universities all have complaints procedures for students, which you can find on their websites.

If you don’t make progress you can:
  • get advice from the Parent Partnership Service
  • use an independent organisation to help resolve the problem – Kids is a service we use to help sort out disagreements but there are other services that you can use.

Appealing a decision on EHC assessments and plans

If you are not happy about any decision made about your child’s EHC plan or assessment for a plan, you can talk to us about why you are unhappy. Details on who to talk to will be included in any information sent to you.

Independent mediation

You can also use a mediation service to help sort out disagreements. Having an independent person involved who can offer a different view can help all sides to agree on what to do next.

When we write to you about a decision to do with your child’s EHC plan, we will give you information about independent mediation services available to you.


Before you appeal a decision you must be able to show that you have contacted a mediation service first. 

You can also appeal to the special educational needs and disability tribunal about any decision made on your child’s EHC plan or assessment for a plan. You can also appeal to the tribunal if you are claiming disability discrimination against a school or us.

Before you appeal a decision you must be able to show that you have contacted a mediation service first.

You can find out how to appeal on the Government’s website.
Back to top