warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Conservation areas

A conservation area is a place with a special historic interest, buildings and streets which the council protects (or designates).

There are nine conservation areas in Newham. It is important that we keep the character and look of these areas.

Picture of a row of building fronts in a conservation area in Newham

Making changes in conservation areas

There are extra rules about building and changes to buildings in conservation areas.
  • If you want to demolish a building in a conservation area you need special consent (conservation area consent).
  • If you want to cut down or work on a tree in a conservation area, you will need to send us an application at least six weeks before you start the work. This is so that we have the chance to make a tree preservation order  if necessary.
  • If you want to do work you need to show that the work will protect or improve the look and character of the conservation area.
  • You may need to apply for planning permission for work that would not normally need it, such as for dormer windows or satellite dishes. These additional controls are called Article 4 Directions. Contact the duty planning officer if you’re not sure whether you need permission.
  • There is stricter control over advertisements and signs; if you're not sure whether you need permission, there is a guide on the Planning Portal.
For more information about conservation areas, go to the Historic England website.
Find out whether you need planning permission as well.

Additional planning controls: Article 4 Directions

If you live in a conservation area you may need planning permission before you can extend or alter your home in a way that would normally be allowed under permitted development. These additional controls are called Article 4 Directions.

Conservation areas where Article 4 Directions currently apply:
  • Durham Road
  • Romford Road
  • Woodgrange Road.
Work that needs consent includes:
  • replacing windows, doors and roof materials
  • forming new hard surfaces for parking or other uses, or laying new surfaces on existing ones
  • demolishing or rebuilding walls and fences
  • adding extensions, dormer windows or satellite dishes
  • painting, cladding or pebble-dashing walls
  • removing stucco work, canopies or other details.
We will only allow work which keeps or improves the look and character of the conservation area.
If you are not sure whether you need permission, contact the duty planning officer.

Trees in conservation areas

If you want to work on a tree in a conservation area, you must ask us for permission.
Apply for permission online using the Planning Portal. You will need to log on or register to set up the application. Or you can download the application form and send it to us with your submission (all plans and documents) at: 
Planning Submissions
Development Control
Newham Dockside
1000 Dockside Road
E16 2QU
You will also need to send us an electronic copy of your submission as well. You can send it to us on a CD or email it to us:

Make sure the files are in PDF format (with the measuring tool switched on) and each file is no bigger than 10MB. Break up large documents into separate files.

Conservation areas in Newham: Documents

Durham Road conservation area, Manor Park, E12


East Ham conservation area


Forest Gate Town Centre conservation area, Forest Gate, E7


Romford Road conservation area, Forest Gate, E7


Stratford St John's conservation area


Sugar House Lane conservation area


Three Mills conservation area, E3

Three Mills conservation area map (new boundary – 16 December 2010) (PDF)
Back to top

Contact us

  • Duty planning officer
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 12 noon

    020 3373 8300

    Email us