Disabled children and young people - short breaks
For a full overview of services for families with children and young people aged 0 to 25 with special educational needs and/or disabilities, go to our Local Offer pages.
About short breaksShort breaks offer activities for disabled children and young people to make sure they have the same opportunities as other children to have fun, spend time away from home with their friends, and develop skills and independence.
Short breaks also give you a chance to take a break from your caring duties.
We are currently reviewing the short break statement and are aiming to have an updated version available by June 2016.
Our Short breaks statement (PDF) explains more, including our vision for short breaks and how we work closely with disabled young people and their families.
Group-based short breaks
- after-school clubs
- weekend activities
- school-holiday activities
- family fun days.
Qualifying for a group-based short break
- autistic spectrum disorder and severe learning disabilities
- difficult behaviour and other problems such as severe learning disabilities
- a life-limiting condition and/or he or she needs palliative care
- severe cognitive, physical or sensory impairments
- problems with moving and handling which means they need equipment and adaptations.
We are looking into opportunities for young people up to the age of 25 years.
Apply for a group-based short break
- Aston Mansfield
- Care and Support Shop
- Community Links
- Lambourne End
- Newham All Stars Sports Academy (NASSA)
- Resources for Autism
- Richard House Children’s Hospice
- Royal London Society for the Blind
- Zinc Arts
Safeguarding for children on group-based short breaks
- autistic spectrum disorders
- profound and multiple physical disabilities
- learning disabilities
- complex health needs.
You can find out about the care we provide at Dongola Road in our statement of purpose (PDF).
Personal budget short breaks
Disabled Children and Young People’s Service
London Borough of Newham Newham Dockside 1000 Dockside Road
London Borough of Newham
1000 Dockside Road
020 3373 3521