Historical searches - births, deaths and marriages

Newham Register Office holds all the registers for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships from 1837 to the present day for all events within the present Borough of Newham.

We have all the records for the Newham district. We also have records of the old East Ham Registration District and part of the old West Ham District.​

Births and deaths

We have births and deaths records for West Ham, Plaistow, Stratford, Forest Gate, Canning Town and Silvertown, but we do not have records for the parts of West Ham that are now in Waltham Forest or Redbridge. 


Marriage records

We have marriage records for all churches and other religious buildings within the current Newham boundaries, and the marriages attended by the registrars for the old West Ham and East Ham Districts.

However, records for recent church marriages may still be held by the church until their register is given to the Newham Register Office.

Marriage searches can be more complicated than births and deaths because separate registers are held for individual churches. For us to carry out the search you must tell us where and when  the marriage took place.

Requesting a search and issuing certificates

To request a search you must complete a certificate application. If we have enough information we will issue the certificates you have requested. The normal certificate fees apply.

However we do not have the capacity to undertake lengthy searches. Searches in the birth or death index covering a period less than five years can be made, but only where accurate registration details have been given. We are unlikely to be able to search for periods between 1891 and 1965.

Searching records by yourself

You can submit a request to do a general search of the indexes yourself, however a member of staff must be present to assist you.

For this reason you must pay a fee of £18 and make an appointment. You should also give two weeks notice to ensure a member of staff is available to help with your search.

Once you have found the entry we will issue any certificates you require.
Back to top