warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Complain, comment or compliment

As part of our drive for better services, we want you to tell us what we are doing right and let us know when something goes wrong.

If you wish to make a complaint about how we have dealt with an issue, you have the right to make a formal complaint which will be dealt with using our complaints procedures.

A man writing a letter

Before you make a complaint

You can get some of your issues dealt with quickly and easily by reporting them to us online. These include:
  • missed rubbish collections, overflowing bins and bad smells
  • street cleaning that has not been done
  • damaged pavements and roads
  • damaged or missing street lights, bollards and road markings
  • pests and infestations
  • dog fouling, birds’ mess, dead animals
  • graffiti, fly posting
  • anti-social behaviour
Report a problem online using My Newham
You can now also report problems on the move through your smart phone or tablet using our Love Newham app.


Are all complaints dealt with the same way?

You can make most complaints about council services using our online complaints form. But there are separate arrangements for dealing with complaints about:
If you have complaints or questions about your immigration status, you should contact your local MP.


Making a comment or complaint or giving a compliment

You can compliment a member of our staff who has gone the extra mile, comment on or complain about one of our services.

Time limit

You have 12 months after an incident to submit your complaint. We are not obliged to investigate incidents which happened more than 12 months ago.

Legal action

If you are taking legal action against the council you cannot make a complaint if it concerns the matter you are taking legal action over. You can make a complaint about an unrelated matter.

Complaining on someone else’s behalf 

You can make a complaint on behalf of a friend or relative but you must have a signed letter from that person which authorises you to take the action.

Help with making your complaint

If you would like help to make a representation or complaint, please email us and we will arrange for someone to assist you. This person is called an advocate.
If you are under 18 years of age and receive help from our Children and Young People Services you have a legal right to an advocate.
Back to top