warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Newham Community and Crisis Support

On this page you can find out about the Newham Community and Crisis Support scheme and how to apply for a loan to help with expenses in an emergency or if you are vulnerable and experiencing severe hardship.​​
A hand picking up a telephone receiver

​About Newham Community and Crisis Support

Newham Community and Crisis Support has replaced crisis loans and community care grants, which were given out by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Aims of the scheme

The aims of the Newham Community and Crisis Support scheme are to give:
  • a safety net for residents in case of an emergency
  • support to help vulnerable people move into or stay in the community
  • support to relieve exceptional pressure on families.
The scheme is a last resort after all other available options have been explored. It is a loan which you must pay back.

Who can get Community and Crisis Support

You can apply for Newham Community and Crisis Support if you:
  • are aged 16 or over
  • are receiving a qualifying benefit such as Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit
  • have been living in Newham for at least six months for Crisis Support or 12 months for Community Support.
Community and Crisis Support is discretionary, which means that – unlike other benefits – you do not have a legal right to get help. If you are in severe need but you think you don’t meet the criteria you should still contact us.

What you can get Community and Crisis Support for

Community Support

You may be able to get Community Support for basic necessities such as furniture and white goods and clothing if you are leaving institutional care or being resettled, or if you are looking after someone.

Crisis Support

You may be able to get Crisis Support if you are going through a disaster or an emergency and getting the support is the only way to stop the situation causing harm to you or someone in your household. Support will help to pay for food, fuel, and other basic living expenses.

What you can’t get Community and Crisis Support for

You can’t get Community and Crisis Support for:
  • non-essential electrical goods such as a television or radio
  • travel costs except in the case of provable sickness or death in the family
  • paying off debts
  • expenses for your car, van or motorbike
  • regular housing or accommodation rent or arrears payments
  • putting in a telephone line or paying a telephone bill
  • legal expenses
  • domestic assistance or respite care (you can get help for this from Adult Social Care)
  • any medical, dental, ear or eye equipment which the NHS should supply
  • Council Tax or water charges.

Apply for Newham Community and Crisis Support

To find out if you qualify for support, fill in our Newham Community and Crisis Support application form.
You will be given a form reference number; make sure you write it down. If you are successful we will then call you within one working day to arrange an interview.
If you have any questions about your application, call us on 020 3373 1180 and quote your form reference number. We cannot help you without it.
If you are unable to apply online, call us on 020 3373 1180.

Paying you your loan

We don’t give out cash. Instead we help you directly with your needs. For example, if you need help with fuel costs, we would give you a voucher that can only be used for fuel. 
Community and Crisis Support is a loan, which means you have to pay it back. If you don't repay a loan you get from us, you may not be able to get any more support.
Back to top