warning icon
Essential maintenance this weekend to our Housing Management System and planned website maintenance work
Housing Rent Account Balances and some Online Customer Forms will be unavailable via My Newham from Friday 20 September at 5pm until Monday 23 September 2019. Customers can still make payments, but online account balances will not be updated until Monday 23 September 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.​

Also, the Newham website will be unavailable while we make some changes on Saturday 21 September between 10am and 6pm. You will not be able to report problems or apply for services during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.​

Nuisance neighbours

Everybody has the right to live safely and peacefully at home. 

Many people fall out with neighbours at some point, but most are able to sort out their problems. If you think your neighbour is seriously affecting your quality of life, ask us for help.

Community support officers investigate waste and rubbish in a front garden

What is nuisance behaviour?

Nuisance behaviour can mean a lot of different things, but it includes:
  • noise nuisance
  • waste in front gardens
  • nuisance vehicles
  • dog fouling
  • fly-tipping
  • obstruction of footpaths and roads
  • unregistered HMO (home of multiple occupation)

I have a problem with my neighbours, what can I do?

If you have problems with your neighbours, try the following steps.


Step 1

Talk to the person or company responsible. You may find that the problem can be sorted out easily.

Step 2

If you feel threatened or the person is acting aggressively towards you, you can use a mediation service, where an independent person helps you to come to an agreement. It is another possible way to find a solution.

There are a number of mediation organisations who advertise through the web and in telephone directories. Note, you would have to pay for this service.

Step 3

If you try steps 1 and 2 but there is still a problem, if you are not comfortable or it is not appropriate to approach your neighbour you can report nuisance or anti-social behaviour online or call the Enforcement and Safety Team on 020 8430 2000.
In an emergency, phone 999 and ask to speak to the police. You should use this service if a crime or serious incident is happening now or if anyone is in immediate danger. If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.
Back to top