Types of childcare

There are a number of early education and childcare options to choose from in Newham; ranging from nurseries and playgroups to out of school play schemes for older children. ​​​


Our childminders are registered to provide care for children in their own home.
They are flexible about the hours they work and provide children with a range of activities.
Most child minders offer to pick up and collect children from schools, nurseries and pre-schools.
If you would like to find out about the work of a childminder or the training courses we offer, visit our Becoming a childminder page.

Day nurseries

Day nurseries can be run by private, voluntary or independent organisations and include childminders.

They provide care and early education for children aged from six weeks to five years, usually from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday, most weeks of the year.
Day nurseries are usually run in converted houses, community centres and purpose built buildings.

Playgroup and pre-schools

Pre-schools and playgroups provide early education and play sessions to children aged two to five for three hours a day, either in the morning or afternoon. They are usually open during school term time.
Playgroups and pre-schools are usually run in church buildings and community centres, but can also be run in converted houses and purpose built buildings.


Crèches provide occasional care for children under the age of eight for at least four hours a day. Some crèches provided are during specific events, such as training courses or based at permanent premises such as shopping or leisure centres, while parents are busy.

Out of school childcare

Out of school playschemes

Out of school schemes provide care for children, usually aged between 4 and 14, before or after school during term time. Children have the chance to enjoy a range of indoor and outdoor activities.
Some schemes are based at schools, while others have their own premises, and offer a pick-up service from schools.

Holiday playschemes

Holiday playschemes offer out of school care during school holidays. Some are open all day, while others offer morning or afternoon sessions.

Childcare in the home


Nannies are employed by the parent to provide care in the families’ home.
Most nannies have experience of childcare as a nursery practitioner or have passed a childcare training course.
Nannies do not need to have a qualification, but they can register on the voluntary Ofsted childcare register. This means they will go through similar checks as daycare providers.
If you wish to employ a nanny, you must make sure that
If you want your nanny to register with Ofsted on the voluntary childcare register they may be willing to do this if you offer to pay for the registration.

Au pairs

Nannies and au pairs are usually seen as offering the same service however they are quite different.
Nannies are individuals who work alone to care for children. Au pairs are normally students, from outside the UK, who are looking to improve their English.
Au pairs do not generally have childcare experience and should not be left alone with children below the age of four. Au pairs must be provided with room and board and must be able to attend their language classes.

Family and friends

If a member of your family looks after your children in your own home, you will not need to register with Ofsted. A family member can be a parent, grandparent, aunt or brother or sister.
If a friend cares for your children they will not need to be registered if:
  • they do it as an occasional favour rather than for payment
  • your children are all aged eight or over
  • the care happens in your own home.
Otherwise you may need to register with Ofsted. For more information go to the Government's website.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Children's Services Commissioning
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    Email us