Safety at sports grounds

If you want to hold an open-air sports event for more than 500 people at a ground with covered stand(s) you may need a safety certificate.​​​​

Covered stand at the side of a running track

Safety certificates for sports grounds

The council must keep the public safe while they visit sports grounds for events. We do this with agencies such as the police, fire and ambulance services.
You may need a safety certificate if you run a sports grounds with covered stands which hold 500 people or more.
If you have any questions about whether your ground needs a certificate, contact the Licensing Team on 020 8430 2000 or email:

Stadium Safety Advisory Group Meeting (SSAG)

We can close down sports grounds which do not meet safety standards.

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park Licensing, Operational Planning and Safety Group (Parkwide) - LOPSG​


Health and safety at sports grounds

Even if your ground does not need a certificate, you still need to make sure that the people working at the ground (as well as the public) are not put at risk.
Health and safety law protects people using these buildings as well as those working in larger venues which do need certificates.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Licensing Authority
    1st Floor Town Hall Annexe
    330-354 Barking Road
    East Ham
    E6 2RT

    Email us