On this page you can find out about the Our Newham Money Emergency Loan - formerly known as the Newham Community and Crisis Support scheme, including how to apply for a loan to help with expenses in an emergency or if you are vulnerable and experiencing severe hardship.
About Our Newham Money Emergency Loan
If you have an extreme emergency and there is no other way for you to get help, you may be offered a Our Newham Money Emergency loan. It is important to understand that you will have to pay it back.
The aims of Our Newham Money Emergency Loan are to give:
- A safety net for residents in case of an emergency
- Support to help vulnerable people move into or stay in the community
- Support to relieve exceptional pressure on families.
The Our Newham Money Emergency Loan is a last resort after all other available options have been explored. It is a loan which you must pay back.
Who can get Our Newham Money Emergency Loan
You can apply for Our Newham Money Emergency Loan if you:
- Are aged 16 or over
- Are in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Have been living in Newham (subject to length of residency within Newham) or have a connection with Newham, (e.g. Newham Temporary Accommodation placed you outside Newham).
The Our Newham Money Emergency Loan is discretionary, which means that, unlike other benefits you do not have a legal right to get help. If you are in severe need but you think you don’t meet the criteria you should still contact us.
What you can get Our Newham Money Emergency Loan for
You can use the loan for essential household furniture and kitchen appliances, to pay bills or a deposit on a rental property and for food. The loan is not issued as cash, it will be issues as vouchers or paid directly to the relevant landlord or agency.
Essential household items include:
- Bed Base
- Washing Machine
- Fridge Freezer and Cooker
You may receive your loan in the form of:
- High Street Vouchers
- Energy PayPoint Vouchers (Contact the office if you are a British Gas Customer)
- Rent Deposit for a new property (Paid directly to landlord/agency)
- Food Bank voucher (non-loan)
Apply for Our Newham Money Emergency Loan
To find out if you qualify for support, complete Our Newham Money Emergency Loan application form on the Our Newham Money website.
If you are successful with your application, we aim to call you within one working day to arrange an interview.
If you have any questions about your application, please email us [email protected] or call Our Newham Money on on 020 8430 2041.
Repaying your loan
The Emergency Loan will need to be paid back. If you don't repay a loan you get from us, you may not be able to get any more support.