Anti-social and nuisance behaviour

What do we class as nuisance behaviour?

Everybody has the right to live safely and peacefully at home.  

Many people fall out with neighbours at some point, but most are able to sort out their problems. If you think your neighbour is seriously affecting your quality of life, ask us for help. 

What do we class as nuisance behaviour? 

Nuisance behaviour can mean a lot of different things, but it includes: 

  • Noise nuisance 
  • Waste in front gardens – 
  • Nuisance vehicles – such as those running or revving their engines, or street racing – if a crime is being committed, you should contact the police 
  • Fly tipping Obstruction of footpaths and roads  
  • Unregistered HMO (home of multiple occupation) 

I have a problem with my neighbours, what can I do? 

If you have problems with your neighbours, try the following steps. 

Step 1 

Talk to the person or company responsible. You may find that the problem can be sorted out easily. 

Step 2 

If you feel threatened or the person is acting aggressively towards you, you can use a mediation service, where an independent person helps you to come to an agreement. It is another possible way to find a solution. 

There are a number of mediation organisations who advertise through the web and in telephone directories. Note, you would have to pay for this service. 

Step 3 

If you try steps 1 and 2 but there is still a problem, if you are not comfortable or it is not appropriate to approach your neighbour you can report nuisance or anti-social behaviour online. 

Report anti-social behaviour

You can also call the Enforcement and Safety Team on 020 8430 2000

In an emergency, phone 999 and ask to speak to the police. You should use this service if a crime or serious incident is happening now or if anyone is in immediate danger. If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.