Hotel isolation programme
Newham is piloting an offer of free accommodation to help people isolate safely and reduce the risk of passing the virus to other household members.
- Many residents are worried about having to isolate. This can be for a number of reasons including job security and the difficulties of day-to-day life if they have to stay at home.
- Many residents worry about putting the people they live with at risk of COVID
- Older people and people with long-term conditions are at higher risk of severe illness from COVID.
- Some of our Newham communities in particular are at higher risk of household COVID transmission and also of severe COVID
In order to help residents to isolate and stop the spread of COVID in the household, we can provide advice and support to isolate more safely and we are now offering the opportunity to move into separate accommodation for the length of the isolation period.
Anyone who has tested positive for COVID and shares accommodation with others who have tested negative. (Rapid tests will be arranged for those who haven’t had one.)
- If you share a bathroom or kitchen with others
- If someone you live with has a health condition or is older
- If you or others go out to work or for caring or have to leave the house often
The offer is not suitable for households with young children (under 12 years old)
There is a menu of options available to choose from:
- The positive person isolates in a hotel for free with food, transport there and back and medical check-ins and the option of a household member to support and care for them
- The negative people isolate in a hotel for free with food and transport there and back while the person who has COVID stays in the familiar household
- Everyone stays in the original household with advice and support for safer isolation and COVID management (welfare checks and PPE)
The offer includes:
- Get a rapid test for everyone else in the household
- We will arrange free self-catering hotel room for 10 days
- During the 10 days you’ll have medical check ins by phone
- We will provide food, transport and Wi-Fi
- Option for either those who are positive or negative to move into accommodation for the 10 days
How do I get this support?
- The easiest way to connect to this offer is to have regular rapid testing. That way you can act early and get the advice you need to protect your loved ones.
- If you receive a positive test result, contact the Newham COVID-19 Helpline 0207 473 9711 ask for isolation support
- One of our trained coordinators will get in touch to explore what isolation support would be helpful
For more information:
Newham COVID-19 helpline:
020 7473 9711 (9am-7pm, 7 days a week)