The Council is actively supporting businesses across the borough during this time, including:
- Immediate application of the Government’s business rate reliefs for eligible businesses, with the cancellation of direct debit payments due for existing 2020/21 bills
- Payments to local businesses for services provided to the Council made immediately rather than within 14 days
- Introducing monthly billing in arrears (rather than quarterly in advance) from June 2020 for affected businesses to help them with their cash flow
- Waiving all pitch rental payments for market traders for three months
- Waiving all commercial waste collection charges for three months
- Substantially increasing our business support team to offer proactive information and guidance for businesses
- Measures to support the safe and successful reopening of high streets
We will keep this section of the website updated to provide the latest guidance and advice for businesses as it becomes available. Please check back as the information may change at short notice. We will also continue to press government on behalf of those that are not supported under current schemes.
Measures to support the safe reopening of high streets across Newham are part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. The measures support businesses and residents visit high streets safely. This includes signs, banners and floor markings installed in high streets, social distancing measures implemented in markets, online public communications, advisory mail-outs to businesses and development of a recovery and reorientation strategy.
Community Wealth Building
Find out what support the government has made available to businesses in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.Community Wealth Building Business Bulletin (PDF)