Information and advice on parks, library services, leisure centres and democratic services
Parks across the borough remain open to enable exercise, current rules state you are able to meet in groups of up to six or as two households and must maintain social distancing.
Newham City Farm is closed.
Park public toilets are open.
West Ham Park is open. This park is managed by the City of London. Please see their twitter feed for updates.
Tennis courts, multi-use game areas, outdoor gyms, basketball courts and cricket nets are now open.
From April 12 Newham Libraries are offering pre-booked computers and study spaces, limited browsing and a Select and Collect service.
Stratford, Forest Gate, Manor Park, Beckton, Canning Town, Plaistow and Green Street libraries are open Monday-Saturday 10am-5pm.
Custom House library is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am-6pm.
Stratford library is open Sunday, 1pm-4pm.
North Woolwich library remains closed whilst it undergoes refurbishment.
Newham libraries are open for pre-booked computers and study spaces, limited browsing, select and collect services, and Wi-Fi printing.
You can still places request for:
Reservations – order specific items either online or by calling us.
Ready Reads – order a bag of books carefully selected by the library team. It might be a bag of Adventure, Crime, Cookery or even a Lucky Dip. Bags will also be available for children. Call your local library and we will prepare the bag for you.
Blind Date – our library team will select Fiction titles that they have loved and hope you will enjoy. It might be one of our brand new books, one of our favourites or one of those classics you’ve always meant to read. Call your local library and tell them how many blind dates you’d like!
If you’d like to place your reservation by phone, order Ready Reads bags or a Blind Date or pre-book a study space or computer, you can contact your library directly, call 020 3373 3371 or email [email protected]
If you do not have access to a phone, then you can drop by one of our libraries and fill in a request form. If you drop by, then you may need to queue; but we will do our best to help you as soon as we can.
All online services including eBooks, eAudiobooks, eComics, eNewspapers, eMagazines and a range of online reference information is available 24/7. You can click apply to join the library online for instant access to these resources.
Business support for Start-Ups and Pre Start-Ups is still available via the SiLL Project Champion Rashed Belal and a range of workshops are available via Zoom. Please email [email protected]
If you find it difficult to visit the library then books can be delivered to your home with our Home Library Service. Please email the Home Library service for more details on [email protected]
Full details of our services, and how to access them, can be found at newham.gov.uk/libraries
As Covid-19 restrictions ease, Community Centres will begin to reopen.
More information for each centre can be found on the community centres homepage, with contact details available for each centre.
We currently have 5 community centres operating in part or in whole as rapid Covid-19 testing sites. These are open 7 days a week from 10am-7pm and are at the following sites:
- Vicarage Lane Community Centre, Govier Close, E15 4HW
- Katherine Road Community Centre, 254 Katherine Road, E7 8PN
- Jack Cornwall Community Centre, Jack Cornwall Street, E12 5NN
- Jeyes Community Centre, 1 James Close, E13 9BB
- Ascot Community Centre, Hermit Road, E16 4PL
For more information on getting a test, please go to our rapid community testing page.
Newham’s leisure centres to re-open
Following the Government’s recent announcement, Atherton Leisure Centre, East Ham Leisure Centre and Manor Park Fitness Centre will re-open on Monday 12 April. Newham Leisure Centre will re-open on Tuesday 1 June 2021.
Our centres will be open for you to attend the gym or for swimming sessions on your own or with others in your household.
We are continuing to work hard to ensure our staff and members are safe. Covid-19 measures remain in place, including social distancing rules until planned changes or updated advice from the Government.
Before entering on one of our centres you must sanitise your hands s to ensure fellow customers and staff members' safety. You must also wear a face covering during your movement around the centre. If you are exempt, you may need to provide evidence. Face coverings can be removed during activity.
In order to adhere to social distancing guidelines, we have re-positioned and, where necessary, deactivated some of the equipment in our gyms as an additional safety measure. Staff will regularly clean equipment, and you'll see plenty of signs around the centres reminding you to clean down your machines after you've used them.
Important information about direct debit payments
Direct Debit collections will resume in May.
- For those who have subscriptions for the 1st of the month, the first collection will be on 4th May.
- For those who have subscriptions for the 15th of the month, the first collection will be on 17th May.
- If you wish your membership to remain frozen beyond 1st May, there is no charge for freezing memberships until 1 July. Please email [email protected] should you wish to amend your membership status by 5pm on 16 April 2021. Membership amendments sent after this date may not be actioned and your direct debit will be collected.
We currently have plans to reintroduce other facilities following the Government guidelines.
Please visit the active newham website for the full timetable on when our activities will resume.
All dates are subject to further Government announcements.
Due to the Covid-19 crisis, Go For It Grants and Lets's Get the Party Started have all been suspended until further notice. Updates will appear on this page when the situation changes.
Aspers Good Causes Fund
- Following Government recommendations and public health guidelines that all non-essential businesses should cease trading, Aspers Westfield Stratford City casino temporarily closed on Friday 20 March. As a result, there will be a delay in processing the applications until such time that the casino is back in operation.
- Aspers Management would like to send their thanks for the time and effort that has gone in to each application for the 2020 programme and send their best wishes to each organisation member, along with their families, at this challenging time.
- We’ll be back in touch as soon as the business reopens.
Newham COVID-19 Small Community Grants Programme
Newham Council recognises that the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to have additional pressures on the voluntary, community and faith sector to support the most vulnerable in our communities. Find out more on the Newham COVID-19 Small Community Grants Programme page .