Support for asylum seekers and refugees

Housing Options

What am I entitled to?

If you have No Recourse to Public Funds: You are not eligible for homelessness assistance or council housing allocation from Newham Council.

If you are worried that you may become homeless you can contact Shelter Homelessness Charity: 0808 800 4444

What am I entitled to?

If you have Refugee Status: When you receive your refugee status you will have 28 days to move out of your accommodation.

You can privately rent a house by contacting a local letting agent.  Newham Council can support you with moving to private rented sector accommodation.

Average waiting times for a property on the Newham housing register can take many years and it does not guarantee success even if you are actively bidding due to the high demand for social housing. Newham Council can help residents who would like to move to social housing in other parts of the country.

For those wanting to make a fresh start, Homefinder UK will assist in identifying a home that meets each household’s needs.

You can visit Homefinder UK website at, call 020 7619 9705, or email

We have created this helpful video that sets out you options

How to rent in the private rented sector - in English

How to rent in the private rented sector - in Ukrainian