Accessible public transport
Transport for London (TfL) has a wide range of resources and schemes to make travelling on London transport easier for people that are older, pregnant, travelling with children or disabled including:
- Accessibility guides
- Travel Mentoring Scheme (020 3054 4361)
- Trained accessibility champions
- Please offer me a seat badge
- Assisted travel
- Vehicles and trains with accessibility features (wheelchair access and space, priority seating and audio / visual information)
- Maps of step free access
- Door-to-door transport services (Taxicard, Dial-a-ride and community transport).
- Freedom Pass
- Veterans Oyster Card
Transport for All
Transport for All is an organisation of disabled and older people who champion the cause of accessible transport in London. Transport for All believes in a fully accessible, reliable and affordable transport network for disabled and older people. They provide:
- Training to people who use public transport
- Training for those who provide accessible transport in the London.
If you would feel more confident travelling with a little extra support all train companies offer a helping hand for any trip through Passenger Assist. You can book assistance 24-hours a day by contacting Passenger Assist.
Simply book assistance for any train journey, with one number: 0800 0223 720.
For a helping hand around the station, to boarding a train or arranging a ramp. The train company you’re travelling with will organise assistance for your entire journey, even if you travel with someone else to complete the trip.
The Train company you are travelling with can arrange for someone to:
- Meet you at the station entrance or meeting point
- Help you navigate around the station and accompany you to your train
- Help you on and off the service
- Provide a ramp on and off your train
- Meet you from your train and take you to your next train or the exit
- Carry your bag (up to three items of luggage as per the National Rail Conditions of Travel).
Your local taxi company is another way of getting out and about safely if you are unable to use public transport.