Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes a person’s blood sugar level to become too high. There are two types of diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2.
It can be a serious condition if not managed, but really small changes can make a big difference to help you live a healthy life, like walking and eating more vegetables.
If you are of South Asian particularly Bangladeshi & Pakistani, Black African & Caribbean, or South East Asian heritage you are more at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
Find out what you can do to reduce your risk and know the signs and symptoms of diabetes to act early and turn diabetes around. Visit the NHS website.
Support in Newham
In Newham we have lots of free support to help you reduce your risk of getting diabetes and help you live well with diabetes. Find what’s right for you from the list below and sign up today!
You can also visit Newham’s Health Bus to reduce your risk get your blood sugar and blood pressure checked. Find out where the bus will be.
Visit your GP if you have signs and symptoms.
Healthy eating and weight support
- Live Well Newham – free 12-week healthy weight programme covering diet, exercise and mental health.
- Nutrition Kitchen - free 12-week cooking and physical activity programme to help you get fitter, healthier and happier. Including cooking tips and recipes.
- Bags of Taste - provides free specialist cooking courses via WhatsApp and over the phone for people in poverty - helping you to achieve an improved and healthier diet on a low budget.
- 150Club – free 12 week physical activity programme.
- NHS Healthier You Programme – for people at risk of Type 2 diabetes. You can also ask your GP for a referral.
- NHS Health Unlocked – a social network for health. Connect with others and get advice and support.
If you need help to pay for food, the Newham Food Alliance can help.
Keeping active support
- Walking Groups – weekly and fortnightly walks led by trained walk leaders and supported by Newham’s volunteers. Find out where your closest walking group is.
- Our Parks – Beginners’ Back to Exercise, Box Fit, Abs, Tums and Thighs and Bootcamp sessions in Canning Town Recreation Ground, Central Park, Stratford Park and Plaistow Park . Turn up, tone up and get fit for free! Book your session at: www.ourparks.org.uk
- Street Tag - fun, family-friendly game using your smartphone which encourages you to get out and about earning points and prizes for being active. Download the Street Tag app or visit www.streettag.co.uk
- NHS Couch to 5k – Podcasts that help you gradually work up towards running 5km in just 9 weeks. Get running with Couch to 5K