Accidents are a major problem for the elderly. They are the most common cause of hospital admission amongst older people.
Falls can result in:
- Minor injuries
- Loss of confidence
- Fear of falling.
The Falls clinic aims to:
- Prevent and reduce the number of falls
- Help those who have fallen receive effective treatment, rehabilitation and advice on preventing falls.
What is available?
The Falls Clinic can provide a comprehensive assessment from a multi disciplinary team including a:
- Occupational Therapist
- Nursing Staff
- Care of Elderly Consultant
- Specialist Registrar.
The aim is to:
- Provide holistic treatment and rehabilitation
- Give advice to patients and carers on falls prevention
- Improve confidence and coping strategies.
The programme includes:
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy assessments
- Discussion groups on topics such as Osteoporosis Prevention and Awareness; Home hazard assessment and safety tips; Falls prevention and awareness
- Chair based exercise
- Foot health awareness care and treatment
- Continence advice and referral for treatment.
Who can attend?
To be eligible you should:
- Be over 50
- Be a resident of Newham with attached GP
- Have a previous history of falls in the last 6 months
- Require two or more multidisciplinary interventions.
How to get in touch
You can make a self-referral or be referred by your GP or another health or social care professional.
Contact the Falls Clinic for a copy of the referral form.