Carer’s parking permit
If you live in a residential parking zone and need home visits from a carer or a number of carers, you can apply for a carer parking permit. Carer permits can be used on different vehicles however the vehicle can only park in the residential parking zone shown on your permit.
A 12 month carer permit costs £10.
Before you start your application, please make sure:
- The address that you wish to buy a carer parking permit for is registered to your My Newham account
- You have your payment card ready (Visa, Mastercard, Delta, Maestro or Visa Electron)
- The vehicle for which a parking permit is being applied for does not exceed 2.3 metres in height and/or 5.3 metres in length.
- You have read the full carer parking permit terms and conditions (PDF) before making your application.
- You have the right documents (please see below)
If you are in receipt of care through Newham Council’s Social Care Teams please confirm this on the appropriate section of the application form. This will be checked with our Social Care Team and if correct we will approve your application and send your carers permit out to your address by post.
If you do not receive care through Newham Council you will be required to upload one of the following proofs:
- A letter confirming you need home visits from your care provider - this will need to be from your doctor (GP) or from a healthcare specialist dated within 3 months
- Welfare benefit entitlement letter confirming you are in receipt of the Care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
A carer parking permit is only valid when it is displayed clearly in the vehicle. A confirmation email regarding your application does not allow you to park in a controlled parking area.
Any vehicle parked in a controlled parking area without a valid permit clearly displayed may receive a penalty charge notice.
Renew a carer parking permit
It is important to make sure that you make a note of when your permit is due to expire. If you display an expired permit, you may be issued with a penalty charge notice.
In the event that you have not renewed your permit on time, please park your vehicle legally whilst you are waiting for your renewed permit.
It can take up to 10 working days to process your permit and post it out to you. However, you can renew your permit up to four weeks before its expiry date.
If your address is the same
If you are an existing permit holder and your address is the same, you can renew your carer parking permit online.
If your permit has expired, you will have to apply for a new permit online.
If your address has changed
If your permit has not expired, you will need to email [email protected] with a copy of the logbook at your current address.