The council’s recent Community Wealth Building and ‘Towards a Better Newham’ Covid-19 Recovery strategies place high streets at the heart of creating an inclusive economy that supports the health and wellbeing of the people of Newham. The Newham High Streets programme launched in 2020, aiming to develop strategic delivery plans for our high streets, based on evidence and participation. The emergence of the Covid-19 pandemic highlighted even more the need to create an action plan for high streets to help them develop into 15-minute neighbourhoods, where residents can access all social, cultural, civic, and economic essentials.
In September 2020, we launched Phase 1 of the programme, which included the areas of Forest Gate, Manor Park, Little Ilford, and Green Street.
You can also look directly only at your high street’s strategic plan:
What does the report include?
- Understanding the context around our high streets, policy & the pandemic
- Overview of the programme, its approach & objectives
- The Strategic Delivery Plans for the high streets of Phase 1
How were the Phase 1 strategic delivery plans developed?
- In Summer 2020, we undertook extensive research & evaluation of the high streets
- From September to November 2020, we ran a survey that received 500 responses
- From October to December 2020, we hosted 4 online meetings, with over 100 attendees
- From February to March 2021, we facilitated an online forum on the Newham Co-Create platform, where over 470 people discussed different project ideas
What happens next?
- Council officers will be costing & further scoping the project ideas of the strategic plans.
- Currently these are unfunded ideas however the Council is working on submitting external funding bids that will help move projects to implementation. Currently, we are submitting a bid to the Government’s Levelling Up Fund (Vision 1), that includes projects from the plans of Phase 1. Read more here.
We welcome opportunities to collaborate with local businesses, organisations, and property owners. If you would like to support a project idea from your high street’s strategic delivery plan, please contact us via email: [email protected].