warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Asbestos in non-domestic buildings

If you manage a non-domestic building, you must check whether it contains asbestos. If it does, you must take action.
Find out more about your duties on this page.
A cordon with 'danger asbestos' written on the tape

Managing asbestos – what you must do

If you own, occupy or manage a non-domestic building, you must protect the people in that building from exposure to asbestos fibres. And you must write an asbestos-management plan. 
Although your responsibility does not cover homes, the principles of managing asbestos apply to all buildings.
You can find the basics of asbestos management in the Health & Safety Executive leaflet:

What is a non-domestic building?

The law covers all buildings which are:
  • industrial, such as factories and warehouses
  • commercial, such as shops and offices
  • public, such as schools and hospitals.
Also covered are the communal areas of domestic housing developments and blocks of flats, including:
  • foyers
  • corridors
  • lifts and lift shafts
  • staircases
  • roof spaces
  • gardens
  • yards
  • outhouses
  • garages.
The law does not apply to individual houses or flats. But if a flat or a house has building work to be done, as soon as this work begins the property becomes a workplace. So you will have to find out what the risk from asbestos is before the work begins.
Back to top