Noise Nuisance

Noise nuisance

Find out about the types of noise problems we investigate and how to report them. 

Noise complaints we deal with can include: 

  • Excessively loud music and parties (repeated over a period of time)
  • Unreasonable noise from pubs, clubs, bars and live events 
  • Persistently noisy neighbours 
  • Noise from building sites or building works outside of permitted hours. Please view our permitted hours on the pollution control: building and demolition sites page.
  • Alarms
  • Persistent noise from an animal(s) (repeated over a period of time)
  • Unreasonable noise from ventilation fans or other such equipment

Please note that the council are unable to take enforcement action on domestic household noise which includes noise from washing machines, children crying or playing, footsteps, talking, toilet flushing, vacuuming and furniture being moved.  

Steps you can take before making a complaint 

If you are affected by an ongoing noise problem, consider taking these steps first:

  1. Try to solve the issue in a friendly way by talking to the person or company causing the noise, if you feel comfortable with this

  2. If this does not work, you could try taking other informal steps such as mediation or an informal letter to your neighbour

  3. If you still can’t solve the issue, the report to it us using the online form below. 

If you still can’t solve the issue, then report to it us using the online form below 

Report an ongoing noise problem 

What happens next 

When we receive an incident report we are likely to request additional information and may require diary sheets to be completed including:

  • The days
  • Times
  • Nature
  • Impact on you of the noise nuisance. 

Once we have the information we require the complaint will be administrated and assessed.

If a pattern of persistence is identified, a case officer will be assigned to investigate.

We do not provide a response in the form of a visit, but an officer may contact you during office hours which are Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.

Our service is confidential and we will never give out your details.

How we act 

If the council is satisfied that the noise reported is a genuine problem then we can pursue the following steps to abate the nuisance;

  • Advisory letter asking him or her to reduce the level of noise
  • Community Protection Warning alongside a tenancy breach letter if applicable
  • Community Protection Notice 
  • Abatement notice if a statutory noise nuisance has occurred or is likely to occur
  • Fixed-penalty notice (fine) if he or she breaches the CPN or Abatement notice (£100 for residential property or £400 for business property)