Resident parking permit
If you live in Newham you may be able to apply for a resident parking permit.
A resident parking permit allows you to park your vehicle in permit holder only bays, and shared use bays within the resident parking zone stated on your permit. Any vehicle parked in a controlled parking area without a valid permit may receive a penalty charge notice.
Residents in car-free developments are not eligible for a resident parking permit. Residents at these locations can however purchase visitor parking permits.
Resident parking permits are subject to emissions based charging. Find out more about the new emissions based costs, including a one-off Covid discount.
From February 8, residents applying for permits will also have more flexible payment options by being able to apply for a 3 month, 6 month or 12 month permit to spread the costs.
You can apply for or renew a resident parking permit by registering for our online parking system MiPermit Newham.
Before you begin your application, you will need to:
- To ensure the vehicle you are applying for is registered in your name and at the address where you will be using the permit
- Registered keepers - upload a copy of your UK Vehicle Registration document (V5C or log book) or Motability Certificate (not the Motability insurance). The copy uploaded to the system must clearly show that you are the registered keeper or motability customer so please ensure it states your name and address.
- Non-registered keepers - a lease or hire agreement. Hand written documents will not be accepted
- Company vehicles - UK Vehicle Registration Document (V5C or logbook) or lease/hire agreement; and a letter from your employer on headed paper dated within the last three months that confirms your employment, name, address and vehicle registration. Hand written documents will not be accepted
- Proof of address in the name of the registered keeper/leaseholder or employee if a company vehicle: Acceptable proofs of residency are: Council Tax bill which must be valid at the time of application, utility bill or bank statement (dated within the last three months), a tenancy agreement (dated within the last month) or mortgage offer letter or completion of sale letter from solicitor, on headed stationery. Hand written documents will not be accepted
When renewing your permit you must select a start date for your new permit to begin. The MiPermit Newham system will default to today’s date on the application page. Please ensure this is updated if you require your permit to start from a later date. You will only be able to renew your permit up to four weeks in advance.
If you still have a paper permit, please keep displaying it on your windscreen until it is due for renewal. When it is due for renewal, you can move to our new virtual permit system MiPermit Newham.
Renewals before February 8, 2021
If you renewed your resident permit on MiPermit Newham prior to February 8, 2021 you may be entitled to a partial refund for your first permit for each household as well as the ability to take advantage of new payment options for your permit.
We have doubled the existing 20% Covid discount for first permits to 40% and are giving residents more choice about the length of time they would like to renew a permit for – 3 months, 6 months or 12 months.
These changes are in recognition of the ongoing financial impacts of Covid-19 and are aimed at helping residents spread the costs of parking permits throughout 2021.
The new discount and payment options will be available from February 8, 2021.
If you purchased a 12 month residential permit before February 8, 2021, you are entitled a 20% refund on your first permit for your household. The refund will be automatically returned to you. Due to the volume of permits to be refunded, please wait until the end of March before contacting us if you haven’t received your refund.
All existing permits remain valid until they expire or are cancelled by you.
Changing to a 3 or 6 month permit
If you already paid for 12 month permit before February 8, 2021 and you wish to take up the option of spreading parking permit costs throughout the year, you are entitled to apply for 3 month or 6 month permit. To do so you need to cancel your 12 month permit and apply for the shorter permit.
Anyone cancelling a permit must ensure that a new permit is applied for immediately, or they risk receiving a parking fine. Please note – refunds for cancelling any existing paid for permits may take up to 10 working days to be processed.