Resident parking permit
If you live in Newham you may be able to apply for a resident parking permit.
A resident parking permit allows you to park your vehicle in permit holder only bays, and shared use bays within the resident parking zone stated on your permit. Any vehicle parked in a controlled parking area without a valid permit may receive a penalty charge notice.
Residents in car-free developments are not eligible for a resident parking permit. Residents at these locations can however purchase visitor parking permits.
Resident parking permits are subject to emissions based charging. Find out more about the new emissions based costs, including a one-off Covid discount.
You can apply for or renew a resident parking permit by registering for our online parking system MiPermit Newham.
Before you begin your application, you will need to:
- Ensure the vehicle you are applying for is registered in your name and at the address where you will be using the permit
- Registered keepers - UK Vehicle Registration document (V5C or log book) or Motability Certificate (not the Motability insurance)
- Non-registered keepers - a lease or hire agreement, which is made between two registered companies
- Company vehicles - UK Vehicle Registration Document (V5C or logbook) or lease/hire agreement; and a letter from your employer on headed paper dated within the last three months that confirms your employment, name, address and vehicle registration.
- Proof of address at the name of the registered keeper/leaseholder or employee if a company vehicle: Council Tax bill, utility bill or bank statement (dated within the last three months) or a tenancy agreement (dated within the last month) or mortgage offer letter or completion of sale letter from solicitor.
When renewing your permit you must select a start date for your new permit to begin. The MiPermit Newham system will default to today’s date on the application page. Please ensure this is updated if you require your permit to start from a later date. You will only be able to renew your permit up to four weeks in advance.
If you still have a paper permit, please keep displaying it on your windscreen until it is due for renewal. When it is due for renewal, you can move to our new virtual permit system MiPermit Newham.