Apply for council housing

Housing allocations

Find out how we allocate homes and who can apply for council housing. Before you apply for a council or housing association home you must first check if you meet the right criteria and then submit an application to join the housing register.

Our revised Housing Allocations Policy (PDF)  has further information on who qualifies for social housing.

Who can join the housing register?

To apply to join the housing register you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • A Newham resident and have been so continuously for the past two years or have a strong local connection with Newham.

Local connection applies if you:

  • Work in Newham
  • Have close relatives (parents, siblings or children)
  • Are a Newham tenant living in one of our out-of-borough estates
  • Are owed a duty by Newham Council under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996
  • Have been placed in a women's refuge outside Newham but was referred to that refuge by us or another organisation in Newham. You will need to have lived in Newham for two years immediately before moving to the temporary accommodation
  • Have been placed in accommodation by us or the Newham Local Health Authority, and are continuing to receive services from the Council or the Newham Local Health Authority
  • Have been nominated to us through the Pan Mobility Scheme, Safe and Secure Scheme and any other scheme to which the council subscribes.

You must meet at least one of the requirements for local connection to apply.

If you do not live in Newham and do not have a local connection, you will not be able to register.

Who cannot join the housing register?

You cannot apply to join the housing register if you:

  • Are subject to immigration control and do not have leave to remain in the UK or are unable to claim benefits or tax credits
  • Are a European citizen not exercising your treaty rights
  • Are, in the opinion of the council owed a duty under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996 by another local authority
  • Own your home, or own residential accommodation elsewhere
  • Are currently serving a custodial sentence.

It is possible for you to be prevented from joining the housing register if:

  • Your past behaviour, or the past behaviour of a member of your household has not been acceptable and we believe that you will not be a suitable tenant
  • Action has been taken against you by us or another competent body on grounds of alleged anti-social behaviour (ASB).