warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Demolition control

If you own a building and you plan to demolish it you need to tell the council in writing six weeks before you start the work.
A large digger next to a pile of bricks and rubble

Give demolition (Section 80) notice

When you tell us about your plans, this is called a demolition (or Section 80) notice. 
You will need to include the exact name and location of the building to be demolished and a description of the demolition work.
You also need to send this information to the gas and electricity suppliers and to owners of any buildings next to the building to be demolished. It is important to include a plan of the site with the notice, which clearly shows the building(s) to be demolished.
Once we receive a Section 80 notice we will send an answer. This is called a counter notice.

When you do not need a Section 80 notice

Sometimes you do not need to give us a Section 80 notice, for example where:
  • the building to be demolished is less than 1,750 cubic feet (50 cubic metres) in volume (outside measurement)
  • the structure is a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, which is part of a larger building
  • the demolition is inside an occupied building
  • the demolition is for slum clearance   
  • the building is a certain type of farm building.
If you are not sure whether the building you want to demolish needs a Section 80 notice, contact us:  

Counter notice

When we receive your Section 80 notice, we will send you a counter notice. We have to do this within six weeks of receiving your Section 80 notice. The counter notice will list the conditions you will need to meet while you demolish.

Counter notice conditions

The types of conditions will depend on the nature of the building and its location and most are just common sense.
Normally we will ask you to:
  • shore and weather buildings which are joined to the one you plan to demolish
  • control or remove hazardous materials safely
  • seal or remove any unused drains
  • take all steps necessary to protect the public.

Illegal burning on the site

You must not cause dark smoke to come from a site. You must not allow smoke to cause a nuisance or health hazard. The safest way to avoid problems is not to burn any material on site at all. Instead, recycle where possible or take the material to a landfill site.

Extra planning permission

Sometimes you might need extra permission, particularly if the building is:
  • a home
  • next to a home
  • listed 
  • in a conservation area.
For more information about planning rules, email Development Control
Back to top

Related documents

Contact us

  • Building Control
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 4pm

    020 3373 8200

    Email us