warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links


Find out about the types of noise problems we investigate and how to report them.​​​

Noise problems we investigate

We deal with a variety of noise complaints, including:
  • loud music and parties
  • noise from pubs, clubs, bars and live events
  • noisy neighbours
  • noise from building sites or building works outside of permitted hours (Link to permitted hours​)
  • alarms (car alarms, intruder alarms)
  • noise from parked cars or machinery in the street
  • noisy animals (barking dogs, crowing cockerels)
  • noise from ventilation fans or other equipment.

Report noise problems happening now

You can report noise nuisance to us 24 hours a day. Call us on 020 8430 2000.

Enforcement officers may visit the person(s) responsible and issue a warning or serve a notice. However this will depend on the time and nature of the problem.

If we are unable to visit at the time, we will:
  • write to you to acknowledge your complaint: or
  • contact you to discuss the problem.
In some cases we can still issue a warning or serve a notice after the problem has happened.

Report ongoing noise problems

Before you complain about noise

If you are affected by an ongoing noise problem, take these steps.
  1. Try to solve the problem in a friendly way by talking to the person or company causing the noise if you feel comfortable with this.
  2. If this does not work, you could try taking other informal steps such as mediation – for more information go to the Problem Neighbours website.
  3. If you still can't solve then complain to us when the the noise is happening.

How to complain about ongoing noise

We will respond within three working days.
If the noise problem is happening now, call us on 020 8430 2000. Do not report it online.

What happens next

Before we can take any action, our staff may need to enter your property to assess the level of noise and decide whether it is loud enough to be a legal nuisance. So where possible try to keep a record of the days, times and nature of the noise nuisance.

If we do need to visit, we will contact you to arrange a time with you.
Our staff will always show you their Newham Council identity card when they knock at your door.

Our service is confidential. We will never give out your details. But note that our staff will visit you in uniform and come in marked vehicles. They may also come with a uniformed police officer.

What happens after we visit

If we think the noise is a nuisance, we can:
  • go directly to the person causing the problem and ask him or her to reduce the level of noise – the officer on duty will decide whether or not to do this
  • send the person an advisory (warning) letter
  • give the person a noise-abatement notice (a legal order for the noise to stop)
  • give the person a fixed-penalty notice (fine) if he or she breaches the noise-abatement notice (£100 for residential property or £400 for business property)
  • seize the equipment making the noise
  • take legal action in the Magistrate’s Court, which could lead to a fine of up to £5,000 for residential property and up to £20,000 for business property.

Noise from other sources

Events at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

During the summer the London Legacy Development Corporation host a number of events within the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
You can find a full list of the confirmed events on London Legacy Development Corporation's website​.
The events are spread throughout the park, but are controlled by LLDC and not Newham. Should you have any queries or complaints about any of these events we advise that you contact the LLDC directly.

Events at the Londo​n Stadium

During the summer the London Stadium will be hosting a number of events within the stadium, including music concerts and world athletics.
You can find a full list of the confirmed events on London Stadium website​
The events are controlled by London Stadium 185 and not Newham Council. Should you have any queries or complaints about any of these events we advise that you contact LS185 directly.

Noise from industry

For information and advice on noise problems caused by industry, go to our Industrial noise page. 

Noise problems we can’t help you with

We can’t do anything about ordinary domestic noise, talking, walking about, babies crying, doors slamming, fireworks and helicopters. This is part of life and the courts do not accept this as a nuisance.​​​​
Back to top