Council insurance claims

Council insurance claims

We have full insurance, which covers all the risks that affect the council. We have insurance with outside insurers and insure ourselves against risks to schools, property and vehicles. Therefore, in the event that you might need to make a claim against us, our insurance policy will operate to provide compensation if we are at fault.

You may only make a claim against us if you believe we have been negligent, and: 

  • You suffer loss or damage to your possessions due to an incident, or 
  • You suffer an injury.  

If you make a claim, you must give evidence of why you think we are responsible for your loss or injury.

When we assess claims, we look at: 

  • The circumstances of the incident 
  • Whether the council or its employees were negligent 

Accidents can happen for reasons outside our control. Most of the claims we receive do not lead to findings of liability against us or to financial settlements. If our contractors or public utility companies cause an accident, for which they would be legally responsible, we will send the claim direct to them as they are responsible for their own insurance.

Personal injury claims by external solicitors

If you are an external solicitor, you will need to use the Claims Portal if you wish to make a claim for personal injury caused by any of the following: 

  • A road traffic accident 
  • A transport or highway accident 
  • An accident at a school in Newham 
  • An accident in the workplace (London Borough of Newham employees only). 

Date of claims 

Cover provided by 

Policy details 

For claims from 1 December 2015 to 31 March 2021 

Gallagher Bassett 
Halford House
2 Coval Lane
CM1 1TD 


Portal reference number: D00019 
Policy number: Y108405QBE0115A 


For claims from 1 April 2021 


Zurich Insurance Company Ltd 
Casualty Claims 
Zurich House 
PO Box 107 
2 Gladiator Way 
GU14 6GB 


Portal reference number: C00650 
Policy number: QLA-01E224-0143