Newham Council hold Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meetings to discuss public safety issues connected with events.
The emergency services and officers from various council departments attend, giving them the opportunity to look at event plans in detail together.
About the Safety Advisory Group (SAG)
Safety Advisory Group (SAG) members can then provide advice to help organisers run their events safely.
The Safety Advisory Group (SAG) is not a legal body and cannot stop events from happening, but will not support events that could result in harm to the people who attend and/or the wider public.
- There are officers on the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) panel who can use legal powers if they have serious concerns, and event organisers are reminded that they have legal duties under various laws to make sure events are safe and do not cause a nuisance to others.
Because of the risks posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, we require all events, including the smaller ones, to go through the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) process. This does not mean you will need to attend a virtual Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meeting as this isn’t always needed, with smaller events we may be able to provide advice by email. We need at least 28 days to look through event paperwork and discuss it with other Safety Advisory Group (SAG) members, so make sure you send it to us in good time.
- Event Management Plan (EMP) template and guidance notes (Word)
- Newham Event SAG Terms of Reference (PDF)
- Unpicking Coronavirus Regulations and Guidance to enable a safe return to outdoor events – a briefing note for stakeholders – 7th July 2020 (PDF)
- The new landscape for Events, the age of social distancing and local uncertainty – a briefing note for stakeholders – 31st July 2020 (PDF)
- The implications on event organisers of a rising ‘r’ rate, local lockdowns and the powers held by the Director of Public Health – a briefing note for stakeholders – 28th September 2020 (PDF)
- The Spring 2021 roadmap to recovery thoughts on where this leaves event organisers (PDF)