The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 states that all local authorities must keep a register of people interested in building their own home in the local area.
What is custom and self-build housing?
Custom and self-build housing is built by individuals or groups for their own use. Self-build projects are those where a person directly organises the design and construction of their own home, including where a self-builder employs someone to build their home for them.
Custom build homes are where a person or group works with a developer to have their home designed and built to their requirements. This may include circumstances where a developer manages the finance and construction of the build.
Join the register
To be included on the register you must be:
- Aged 18 or over
- A British citizen or a national of an EEA State other than the UK or Switzerland
- Seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole residence
To apply to join the register, email the following information to [email protected]
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Site requirement
- Confirmation that you are seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole residence.
‘Serviced plots’ are those which have access to the public highway and connections for utilities (electricity, water, waste water).
Groups and associations
In the case of groups or associations, each member must provide the required information along with:
- Name of the group or association
- Name and contact details of the lead contact
- Number of plots being sought.
After you apply
Within 28 days of receiving your application we will:
- Confirm that you have been added; or
- Ask you for further information; or
- Explain why you, or the group, may not be eligible.
How we will use your information
At this stage the register will help us to understand the level of interest in serviced plots for self-build and custom homebuilding in Newham.
We will keep the information you provide on the application form confidential. The register will not be published.