Your landlord’s responsibilities
In Newham most privately rented properties must be licensed.
Licensing means your rights are better protected in Newham than anywhere else in the country.
It is a criminal offence if your landlord has not applied to licence the property where you live. You may be entitled to a refund of any rent you have paid up to a maximum of 12 months.
Property licensing means your landlord must:
- Provide you with a written tenancy agreement and check to see if you can afford the rent
- Make sure your home is safe and fitted with smoke alarms
- Regularly inspect your home, to ensure things are in good repair
- Investigate nuisance and problems with noise, rubbish and anti-social behaviour
- Make sure the property does not become overcrowded.