What you can get a fixed penalty notice for
You can get a fixed penalty notice for environmental offences, including:
- Not removing dog mess
- Urinating in a public place
- Putting rubbish out too early for collection or in your front garden
- Not getting rid of commercial waste properly
- Abandoning a vehicle
- Selling or repairing vehicles on the highway
- Street trading without a licence
- A breach of a Community Protection Notice.
What is ‘litter’?
Litter can include:
- Food waste
- Cigarette butts
- Bag of waste dropped or left in an open space.
Littering can be on any land (public or private) in the open air which the public has access to, including water or rivers.
If you litter it is still a crime even if you offer to pick it up afterwards. You will still be given a fixed penalty notice. If there are no litter bins take your rubbish home or hold onto it until a litter bin is available. We can’t put litter bins on every street in the borough, but we do try.