Apply to join the housing register
There are three steps to the housing register application:
1. Log in to My Newham to begin your application
You will need a My Newham
account to apply to join the housing register.
Once you are logged in you should go to 'Apply for it' and then 'Housing register'. You will then be given the option to 'Start a new application'.
2. Complete a housing options advice assessment
You must next complete a housing options advice assessment on the Housing and employment destination (HED) website
. Before you begin you will need to register with HED.
Demand for social housing is extremely high in Newham and we are not able to house the majority of people who apply.
This is why you must complete the assessment. It helps you to create a personalised action plan which gives you advice on how you can best help yourself. Before you select the 'Continue to HED assessment' button you should print (or at least look at) the HED information page in My Newham. This will help you to find your way back to My Newham after you have finished the form.
3. Complete the housing register application form
After you complete the HED assessment you can return to My Newham where you will have the option to complete your application form.
You can only access the housing register application form in My Newham from your HED account. You must make sure you are logged in.
If you are unable to finish the form in one go, you can save your application and finish it later. We will store it for up to four weeks from the date you start it. If you do not complete it within this time the form will be cancelled and you must start again.
Information you need to fill out a housing register application
You will need:
- an email address
- National Insurance numbers for all members of your household included on your application over 16 years old
- employment details for you and your partner (if applicable) if either or both of you are working at least 16 hours a week
- your address history for the past seven years with the dates that you moved in and out.
You must keep a valid email address at all times as this is may be the only way we will contact you. After you send your application we will email you to request further information, so please check your inbox, including your junk mail regularly.
After you send us your form
After you send us your application:
- We will send you an email that contains a temporary reference number. You will be able to use this number to track the progress of your application in My Newham.
- We will pre-assess your application, which can take up to 28 days. You will then receive an email telling you whether or not you have been successful.
- If you are successful the email will include details of the documents you will need to send to us to prove that you qualify to join the housing register.
- You will need to send copies of the documents and a passport sized photo within 28 days to support your application. We will not be able to process your application without the documents.
How to send your documents and photo(s)
If the pre-assessment of your application is successful, we will send you an email with details of the documents you need to provide. We will also ask you to provide a passport size photograph of yourself and any partner included on your application.
You must send your photo(s) and copies of your documents to:
London Borough of Newham
PO Box 68612
- Make sure that your temporary reference number is clearly written on any document that you send by post.
- Do not send any original documents as we will be unable to return them to you.
- Keep the originals of all your documents you provide safe as these will need to be seen at a later date (maybe years later) if your application is successful.
If you send you photos by post you must also send a supporting letter which includes:
- your temporary reference number
- a statement to say that the picture is a true and recent likeness of you (and your partner).
If you do not send your photo and that of any partner within 28 days of applying, we will close your application.
Based on the information you give us, we will decide if you qualify to join the housing register.
If you are successful we will email you to tell you what priority we have given your case and send you a permanent reference number. Make sure that you check your email account regularly including your junk mail box.
We will also email you if we decide:
- not to accept you on to the housing register
- remove you from the housing register
- lower your priority (give you less preference) in the housing register
- not to allocate you a home.
Appealing our decision
Our email will tell you the reasons for our decision and how you can ask us to look at it again (a review). You have the right to ask for a review within 21 days of our decision. You will lose the right to review if you do not make your request within 21 days. You can send us any documents that you want us to consider when you make your request.
We will then look again at the facts of your application as they stand on the day we do the review. We have 56 days to make a new decision or stand by the decision we originally made, and give you our reasons. After this time you will not be able to ask for a review of the same decision.
If your details have changed
You must make sure that you update your housing application as soon as possible if the information you have previously provided changes. You can only do this online.
Change of address
You must give the full details of the type of property you live in. Make sure there is no gap or overlap between the start date and the last date you were in your previous home.
Change of household members
You can add and remove household members on your application. Our housing allocations policy
will tell you who you can add to your application.
If you are already a Newham tenant you will not be able to add or remove any household members. You must speak to your housing compliance officer.
If we have put you into temporary accommodation you will not be able to add or remove any household members unless the person you are adding is your new born baby. You must go to a Newham customer service centre to tell us about a change.
Change of contact details
You must update any changes to your phone number or email address.
Change of job
You must tell us if:
- your job has changed
- you have stopped working.
- Your working hours has changed to less than 16 hours or has increased to 16 hours or more.
You must tell us if these changes apply to a partner on your application.
We will visit you when you are ranked highly for a property and it is likely that you will be invited to a viewing. We visit shortly after bidding closes.
We visit you to make sure you qualify for the property that you have bid for. We base our assessment on the information you give us, so we need to check your home to see that the information is correct.
We will only give you 48 hours notice before we visit. However we can visit you without giving notice if there is something we need to check.
We will tell you what documents you will need to show us when we visit. They must be the original documents.
If you can’t keep the appointment, you must let us know before we visit so we can arrange a new appointment. We will not be able to make you the offer without visiting your home.