Paying your Council Tax
You can pay your council tax in the following ways:
direct debitset up a direct debit to pay your Council Tax from your bank account automatically each month over 10 months from April to January. You can also pay over 12 months from April to March - call us on 020 8430 2000 to set this up.
standing orderdownload and complete the Council Tax standing order form and send it or take it in to your bank
at your bank branchusing your bank's payment slips (you may be charged by your bank for this service) - don't forget to quote your eight digit Council tax account number on your payment slip
with cashat a Post Office or PayPoint outlet, taking your Council Tax bill with you to be scanned.
by postmake your cheque payable to ‘London Borough of Newham’ and write your Council Tax account number, name and address on the back of the cheque.Send your cheque to:Council Tax
1000 Dockside Road
Check your Council Tax balance
You can check your Council Tax balance online through My Newham.
Discounts, exemptions and Council Tax Reduction
Failure to pay
- sending one of our enforcement agents to your home, which means you will have to pay additional fees
- ordering your employer to take the money directly from your wages
- deducting it from your Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
- applying for a Charging Order on your house which will mean that you cannot sell it until the Council Tax has been paid
- apply to High Court to declare you bankrupt
- sending you to prison for up to three months.
Compliance fee - £75
Enforcement fee - £235
Sale fee - £110
Council Tax Standing Order form Word Document, 43 KB