warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Accident reporting

Reporting accidents at work is a legal requirement. The information helps us and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to find out how and where risks occur, how accidents happen and to investigate serious accidents.

On this page you will find what workplace accidents you must report and how to report them.

Bandaged hand and wrist

What you must report

If you are an employer, self-employed or you are in control of work premises you have a legal duty under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) to report certain work-related accidents.
You must report:
  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • over-seven-day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • some work-related diseases
  • dangerous incidents - where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
  • GasSafe registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors and suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents
  • a report must be received within 10 days of the incident.
Find out more from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) about what you must report.

Who should report

Employer or in control of a premises

If you are an employer, you must report any work-related deaths, injuries, cases of disease, or near misses involving your employees wherever they are working.
If you are in control of premises, you must report any work-related deaths and injuries to members of the public and self-employed people on your premises, and near miss incidents that happen on your premises.


If you are working in someone else's premises and suffer either a major injury or an over-seven-day injury, then the person in control of the premises will be responsible for reporting, so, where possible, you should make sure they know about it.
If there is a reportable accident while you are working on your own premises, or if a doctor tells you that you have a work-related disease or condition, then you need to report it.


If you are an employee and you have been injured at work, seen a dangerous incident, or your doctor has certified that you have a work-related reportable disease, you must tell your employer or the person in control of the premises as it is their responsibility to report the incident.
If they don’t report the incident, you can make a complaint and we or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) can investigate.

Gas supplier or gas fitter

If you are a distributer, filler, importer or supplier of flammable gas and you learn that someone has died or suffered a major injury in connection with the gas you distributed, filled, imported or supplied, then you must report it immediately.
If you are a GasSafe registered installer of gas appliances, you must report any gas appliances or fittings that you consider to be so dangerous that people could die or suffer a major injury, because the fitting could result in a gas leak or explosion.
Find out more from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) about who should report accidents.

How to report

Fatalities and major injuries

You must report all fatalities and major injuries by phoning the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923. This phone line is open from Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm. Very serious incidents can be reported to the HSE’s out-of-hours service

All other accidents

Back to top

Contact us

  • Health and Safety
    Grassroots Centre
    66 Memorial Avenue
    E15 3DB

    Email us