warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Anti-social behaviour and nuisance

We aim to make Newham a better place to live, work and visit. Your safety is a priority.

Our law enforcement officers work with the police, patrolling estate parks and open spaces where anti-social behaviour happens.

Two youths sitting outside at night

Report anti-social behaviour

Report anti-social behaviour
Or call our Enforcement and Safety Team on 020 8430 2000. We take calls 24 hours a day.  
If you feel you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999.
If you have reported an ongoing problem of anti-social behaviour, but do not believe it has been dealt with, you can ask the Community Safety Partnership to review the responses to your complaints under the Community Trigger.

​What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour can include:
  • nuisance neighbours
  • litter
  • dumped rubbish
  • graffiti or vandalism, intimidation or harassment
  • noisy behaviour
  • abandoned or untaxed vehicles
  • illegal street trading and ticket touting
  • street prostitution and kerb-crawling
  • alcohol, tobacco or fireworks being sold to children
  • drinking on the street
  • rubbish in front gardens
  • rubbish bins in the road to reserve parking spaces.

Support for victims of anti-social behaviour

If you experience anti-social behaviour, we can offer you support:
  • an independent domestic violence adviser – if you report sexual harassment or domestic violence
  • an interpreter or sign-language interpreter – if you need one
  • a home visit – if you can’t visit a council office, for example because you are disabled; you or someone on your behalf can contact us by phone, and we will normally make an appointment
  • confidentiality – we will not give out details of your reports of anti-social behaviour
  • we will repair damage to council property on the same day if possible – if your council property is damaged as a result of anti-social behaviour
  • we will remove racist or offensive graffiti within 24 hours of you reporting it; we will remove non-offensive graffiti within seven days
  • we will ask other agencies to help you, if you need it.

How we investigate anti-social behaviour

We follow up reports of anti-social behaviour and then look at the causes of that behaviour to try to find ways to stop it. This work can include supporting vulnerable residents. It can also include helping those responsible to try to prevent their behaviour becoming a problem for other people.
If we need to, we will gather evidence and take action through the courts which could lead to fines, time in prison or eviction of tenants if the behaviour does not stop.
We work with other council services and agencies such as the Metropolitan Police, social housing landlords and environmental health officers.


Reporting hate crime​

Hate crime includes domestic violence and racist and homophobic crime.
If you are a victim of a hate crime, or you think you are, contact the police who can help you. They will offer you support and give you practical help and advice, so you can decide what to do next.
Call 999 in an emergency, or call the Metropolitan Police non-emergency number 101.
The Metropolitan Police take hate crime very seriously. They take strong action against people who commit these crimes. They also support the needs of victims, working with other agencies (including the council) to do this. We can help the police, for example by using CCTV to stop or detect hate crime.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and you commit criminal offences, hate crime or anti-behaviour, you may lose your tenancy.

Private tenants

If you are a private tenant and you commit criminal offences, hate crime or anti-behaviour that affect your neighbours, you may lose your tenancy.
Back to top