Anti-social and nuisance behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour can include a wide range of nuisances, disorder and crimes which affects people's lives on a daily basis. It can feel and look different in every area and to every victim. What might be considered anti-social by one person, might be considered acceptable to another.

The Home Office describes Anti-Social Behaviour as, 'any aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person's quality of life'.

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) can cover a wide range of incidents and is dealt with by a number of different agencies. If ASB is not dealt with appropriately and in a timely manner it can have a devastating impact on the lives of individuals, families and communities.

It is widely recognised that single agencies cannot tackle ASB alone and must work in partnership to address the issues.

To ensure that your complaint reaches the appropriate team, please select the appropriate form below based on whether your complaint is related to Housing or street-based ASB

Housing-based Anti-Social Behaviour may involve various disruptive or harmful behaviours that occur within or near a residential property. Examples of such behaviours include:

  • Neighbours causing a nuisance
  • Inconsiderate or loud behaviour
  • Abuse, harassment, or intimidation
  • Drug-related activities taking place in or around the property
  • Threats of violence or harm
  • Domestic abuse (for council tenants) 

Report Housing-Based ASB

On the other hand, Street-based Anti-Social Behaviour generally involves issues that take place in public areas, including:

  • Environmental crimes
  • Public consumption of alcohol
  • Begging or street soliciting
  • Large or problematic gatherings
  • Unlawful gambling on the streets

Report Street-Based ASB

The Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams deal with:

  • Anti-social use of vehicles
  • Rowdy and nuisance behaviour
  • Criminal damage/vandalism
  • Drug dealing
  • Misuse of air guns and inappropriate use of fireworks

Newham Police Safer Neighbour Teams

If you are affected by antisocial behaviour it is important that you report it. This can be to the Police, Housing Association or the Council. Visit our anti-social behaviour page for more information.

You should contact your Housing association regarding:

Housing association tenants committing anti-social behaviour.