warning icon
Essential maintenance this weekend to our Housing Management System and planned website maintenance work
Housing Rent Account Balances and some Online Customer Forms will be unavailable via My Newham from Friday 20 September at 5pm until Monday 23 September 2019. Customers can still make payments, but online account balances will not be updated until Monday 23 September 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.​

Health and safety at work - complaints and investigation

On this page you can find out how to complain about a workplace in Newham, how we investigate complaints and incidents and what the likely outcome could be.

Man with a clipboard checking electrical unit

Make a complaint about a workplace

If you want to make a complaint about health and safety conditions in a workplace you should contact us as soon as possible after an accident or as soon as you notice a problem.
You can email us or write to us at:
Health and Safety
1st Floor
East Ham Town Hall Annex
330-354 Barking Road
East Ham
E6 2RT.
Some workplaces are the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) rather than us, depending on the nature of the work carried out.
If a workplace is not our responsibility we will tell you who is responsible.

What you must tell us

To help us to deal with your complaint quickly and effectively, we need to know:
  • where and when the unsafe conditions or accident occurred
  • how you discovered the unsafe conditions or accident
  • whether it is just you who was or is being affected or whether other people were or are being affected
  • how the unsafe conditions or accident affected you or other people, such as illness or injury
  • your name, address, telephone number and email address (if you have one) so that we can contact you.


We will keep your identity confidential. We will not reveal it unless you give your consent.
Sometimes businesses wish to apologise to those affected by the complaint. We will only give them your contact details if you give your consent.
Back to top

Investigating your complaint

Visiting premises

We will not always visit the premises you have complained about. After speaking to you and making an initial assessment, we may decide to phone the premises and ask them to rectify the matter you have complained about.

Non-fatal accidents

We investigate all non-fatal workplace accidents which are serious or show a pattern of poor health and safety management at a workplace.

Work-related deaths

We investigate all work-related deaths on premises that it is our responsibility (rather than the HSE’s) to inspect and regulate.
Fatalities and serious accidents should be reported immediately by your employer or premises manager.

How long does an investigation take?

The time we take to investigate a complaint will vary. It can range from a few days to many months.
Cases in which we decide to prosecute or caution an offender can take more than a year to complete.
Back to top

Result of investigation

Our main aim with any complaint investigation is to make sure that unsafe conditions are made safe. We also aim to find out whether any health and safety offence has been committed.
We will tell you about the outcome of the investigation and the investigating officer will explain the reasons for the final decision.

Legal action

If we have sufficient evidence to prove that an offence has been committed, we will consider legal action. In deciding whether or not to take legal action, we will consider:
  • how serious the offence is and the nature of any injuries or ill health suffered as a result of the offence
  • the steps that had been taken to avoid the unsafe conditions or prevent the accident happening
  • the offender's willingness to co-operate
  • whether anyone has been negligent or tried to gain from allowing the unsafe conditions to occur
  • the likelihood that the offender will re-offend
  • your views.


Sometimes businesses wish to apologise to those affected by the complaint. We will only give them your contact details if you give your consent.
Back to top


We cannot give you advice about your right to compensation.
You should take independent legal advice about pursuing a claim for compensation. You can get advice about your legal rights from the Citizens Advice Bureau
Back to top

Contact us

  • Health and Safety
    East Ham Town Hall Annex
    330-354 Barking Road
    East Ham
    E6 2RT

    Email us