Repatriation of bodies - England and Wales

​If a death occurs abroad, you will need to register the death according to local regulations and get a death certificate. The local police, British Consul or tour guide can advise you on how to do this.

For more information about registering a death abroad, visit the website.

How to repatriate a body

To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need to get in touch with an international funeral director. British Consular staff can help you to arrange this.

Before the body can be brought home, it must be embalmed and placed in a zinc-lined coffin. The process may take some time to organise, especially if a post-mortem examination is needed.

You will also need the following documents:

  • a certified English translation of the foreign death certificate from the country in which the person died
  • authorisation to remove the deceased's body from the country
  • a certificate of embalming.

Arranging a funeral in the UK

You will need to take an authenticated translation of a death certificate showing the cause of death to the register office in the area in which you intend to hold the funeral.

The register office will then issue a Certificate of No Liability to Register, which is usually given to the funeral director to enable the funeral to go ahead.

The certificate is not required if a coroner has issued a Certificate for Cremation or an Order for Burial.

Coroner contact details

H. M. Coroners Eastern District of London
Queens Road
E17 8QP
Tel: 020 8496 5000
Back to top