Repatriation of bodies abroad

You must tell the coroner if you wish to move a body outside of England or Wales.

How to repatriate a body outside of England and Wales

To repatriate a body outside of England and Wales, you will need to:

  • tell the coroner by completing a Form of Notice (Form 104). This is available from a registrar or a coroner
  • make sure you include the Certificate for Burial or Cremation (already issued by the registrar or the coroner) with the notice.
The coroner will tell you when they have received the notice and let you know when the body can be moved.

Coroner contact details

H. M. Coroners Eastern District of London
Queens Road
E17 8QP
Tel: 020 8496 5000

Arranging a funeral abroad

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial.
The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease has taken place in the borough in the three months leading up to the death. This is usually done by the undertaker making the arrangements on behalf of the relatives.
Back to top