Tell us about a change

If you receive housing benefit or council tax reduction and your circumstances change, you must tell us straight away as it may affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to. 

Changes you need to tell us about include: 

  • Moving home, or someone moving in or out of your home. 
  • a change to your rent or any service charge in your rent (unless you are a Newham Council tenant) 
  • You or your partner changing employment or going in or out of work  
  • Any other changes in your or your partner’s income or savings, including changes in the benefits that you get  
  • Changes affecting the status or the income of other adults living with you,  for example their name, their employment or the benefits they get 
  • You or another family member leaving your home temporarily: Tell us even if you are going away for a short period time 
  • Any other changes you think might affect your housing benefit or council tax reduction  
Tell us about a change  

Universal Credit 

If you receive Universal Credit, you must also contact the Department for Work and Pensions about changes.