Give notice of intention to marry or enter into civil partnership

Who needs to give notice

If you want to get married or form a civil partnership anywhere other than in the Church of England, by law you must give notice. 

You must also give notice if you wish to marry in a Church of England church and one, or either of you, are subject to immigration control. 
Both you and your partner must go to a register office to give notice. 
The day you give notice is not the same day as your wedding or civil ceremony - do not turn up to give notice expecting to have your ceremony at the same time. 

When to give notice 

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at your local register office. The notice lasts for 12 months. 
If you are subject to immigration control, your notice will be automatically referred to the Home Office. They have the right to extend it to 70 days.