Give notice of intention to marry or enter into civil partnership

Documents and information you will need

You are both legally required to give evidence of your identity, nationality and residence when you give notice of your marriage or civil partnership. You must bring original documents. We cannot accept photocopies. 

Identity and nationality documents 

You must bring your valid passport. If you do not have a passport, and: 

  • You were born outside of the UK, we will need to know why. We may be able to accept your national identity card (with translation if necessary), or an immigration status document.
  • You were born in the UK after 1 January 1983 and do not have a passport we would need to see your full birth certificate together with those of your parents if born in the UK to prove your nationality. We will also need to see some form of valid photo identification. If your parents were not born here, we would need to see proof of their nationality at the time of your birth.
  • You were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, we can accept your birth certificate along with valid photographic identification.

If you do not have a valid passport, we can only accept your national identity card as identification if it clearly states your nationality. 

A person with settled or pre-settled status is required to share their status through the online EUSS status checker tool.  You must request a six-digit code before your appointment from

If you have none of these documents, we cannot normally take a notice from you. 

Passport photo 

You must also bring a passport sized photo if either or both of you are subject to immigration control. 

Residence documents 

You must each provide an independent document as proof of address. We do not accept documents in joint names. 
These documents must be originals and can include any two of the following: 

  • Council Tax bill (most recent)
  • Bank statement or credit card statement plus a valid bank card that matches to the statement (no older than one mouth)
  • Utility bill (no older than three months)
  • Valid UK driving licence.

Additional documents 

You will also need to bring additional documents in the following circumstances: 

You have changed your name 

If you have changed your name by Deed Poll, Change of Name Deed or Statutory Declaration you must bring this document when giving notice. 

You are divorced 

If the divorce took place in England or Wales, you will need to produce a Decree Absolute bearing the official stamp of the court. 
Evidence of divorce must also be shown if you married outside of England and Wales. This includes Islamic and customary marriages abroad. 

You were divorced abroad 

If you were divorced abroad, we will need to see the original documents issued. If these documents are written in a foreign language, an English translation may be required. 

There are fees involved for the clearance of divorces which took place outside the British Isles. These fees range from £50.00 to £75.00 depending on whether the case has to be referred to the General Register Office. The fees are payable at the time of giving your notice. The fees must be paid regardless of whether the marriage subsequently proceeds or not and is non-refundable.  

You are widowed 

You will be asked to produce the death certificate of your late spouse and possibly your marriage/civil partnership certificate. 

You are under 18 

If either of you is under 18 years of age, you will be required to show proof of your parents' or guardians' consent. If your parents are now divorced we will need to see the Decree Absolute and the court order determining legal custody of you. Please speak to the register office about the required consent form. 

You have been married/formed a civil partnership abroad 

If you have married each other or formed a civil partnership in a foreign country you only need to repeat the ceremony in the UK if you believe it was not legal. If you decide to get married or form a civil partnership here, we will need to see any documents issued by that country when you give us notice.