Register a birth

Registering a stillbirth

We appreciate how difficult registering a stillbirth is for parents and our staff will always treat you and your family with great care.  

How to register a stillbirth 

In the event of a stillbirth, a doctor or midwife will give the parents a certificate to bring to the register office. 
It is free to register a stillbirth. We offer a walk-in service at East Ham Customer Service Centre, 328 Barking Road, E6 2RT. 

Every stillbirth in England or Wales must be registered as quickly as possible in the district in which it took place. The funeral can only take place with the permission of the registrar of the district in which it happened. 
If the stillbirth occurred in Scotland or Northern Ireland or any overseas country the registration will have to be made in those countries. 

Certificate for a stillbirth 

The registrar will give you a small certificate showing the baby's names, date of the stillbirth and district, together with a form to allow the funeral to take place. 

Registering a stillbirth if you are unable to attend  

If you are unable to get to the register office in the district where the stillbirth took place, you can give the information to a registrar in another district. This is called registering by declaration. 
If you are a resident in Newham and are unable to go to the appropriate register office, it is possible for us to forward the details for you to the register office concerned. 
The registrar in Newham will record the details on a form of declaration and send it to the registrar for the district where the stillbirth occurred. The registrar who receives the declaration will enter the information into the Stillbirth Register and can issue the certificates. 
If a declaration is made, it may take a day or two longer for the document for burial or cremation to be issued. The family should discuss the arrangements with their funeral director and the registrar so as to avoid any delay to the funeral.