Registration corrections

Apply to make a death registration correction

You can’t change a death certificate once it’s been issued, but you can apply to get a note added to the original entry in the death register. 

You can then get an updated certificate issued that shows this note. 

Corrections to a death registration can only be made when the information is wrong, for example a mistake in spelling a person’s name. 

How to ask for a correction 

You can apply for a correction at the register office where the death was registered (for minor mistakes in a date of death, birthplace or address) - book an appointment now.

For more detailed information on correcting a death certificate visit the website.

If you’re unsure who to apply to, contact the Newham Register Office or the General Register Office (GRO). 

The General Register Office helpline is 0300 123 1837. 

Please ensure that you arrive on time for the appointment. If you arrive later than your appointment start time, you will be required to re-book.  

In order to use our online forms, you will need to create a personal account on My Newham. Please be aware that if you choose to reschedule an existing appointment your original booking will be cancelled automatically.