Registration corrections

Apply to make a marriage certificate correction

If there are any errors on your marriage certificate you can correct the original registration with the Newham Register Office or the General Register Office . 

Corrections can only be made when the information in a marriage register is wrong, for example a mistake made when recording a person’s occupation. 

You can’t apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after the marriage. 

You’ll need to find out if the mistake was made when entering information in the marriage register or just on the marriage certificate. To do this, you will need to make contact with: 

  • The register office where your civil marriage took place 
  • The officer who was responsible for registering your religious marriage or the person who is responsible now. 

What happens next? 

If the details in the register are correct, and the mistake was made when copying the details from the register onto the certificate, you can order a new copy of the certificate. 

If the mistake is in the original registration, you’ll need to apply to the General Register Office (GRO) to make this correction. 

The original information will always be shown in the marriage register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made. 

Visit the website to find out more details on what corrections can be made to a marriage certificate, who can apply, and how long it takes.