Massage and special treatment licence

Massage businesses and others which offer treatments to people, need to be licensed. This is so that we can ensure the safety of people using them.

Find information about which activities and services require a special treatments licence and how you should apply.

Who needs a massage and special treatment licence?

If you are providing any of the following treatments, the premises you are providing them from must be licensed by us.

The treatments include:

  • Massage
  • Manicure
  • Acupuncture
  • Tattooing
  • Cosmetic piercing
  • Chiropody
  • Light treatment such as intense pulse light
  • Electric treatment
  • Similar treatments including vapour, sauna or other baths.

Full list of treatments which must be licensed (PDF) 

Minimum Qualifications Requirements (PDF)

See the London Local Authorities Act 2000 – Special treatment premises 

Exemptions from special treatment licensing

Members of some professional associations and organisations are exempt from special treatment licensing. However, you will still have to register as a therapist.

Exempted organisations list (PDF)